Travis Scott went to a post-show party at a Houston sports bar hosted by Drake after the concert was called off mid-show because of the stampede that killed eight people.
Scott was spotted arriving at Dave and Busters to meet up with Drake, but he was unaware of the scope of the tragedy, according to TMZ.
‘Travis didn’t know the severity of the situation when he arrived at the party,’ a source told TMZ.
‘As far as timing, this remains consistent with the fact that no one including the police had publicly confirmed the gravity of the events that had taken place.’
Travis Scott, who was born in Houston, began the festival in 2018 to thank his hometown fans. On Friday night eight people were killed at the show, and dozens injured
Scott paused his show, and noticed the ambulances at around 9:30pm. He then carried on and later went partying
The crowd surged towards the front at 9pm; at 9:30pm an ambulance was spotted by Scott pushing through the crowd
Drake is seen on stage on Friday night, performing with Travis Scott. He then went to celebrate at his favorite sports bar – unaware, he says, that people had been killed
First responders and other concert goers tend to a person crushed during Friday’s show
Around 2pm Friday, hundreds of fans stormed the festival’s VIP entrance. Seven hours later, the surge in front of the main stage killed eight people
Scott, 30, had his set on Friday evening in Houston interrupted by the blaring sirens of ambulances and the show was stopped as fans were getting trampled.
During a song, at around 9:30pm, Scott stopped the music and, seeing an ambulance arrive, said: ‘What the f*** is that?’
He then carried on until Live Nation stopped the concert roughly 30 minutes earlier than planned, around 10:10pm – 40 minutes after city officials said the ‘mass casualty event’ had begun.
Yet despite the ambulances, and the ‘mass casualty’ declaration, and the show being called off, the rapper went to Dave and Buster to celebrate with Drake – who had appeared on stage with him earlier that night.
The TMZ source said that Scott left the party when it was confirmed that people had lost their lives.
Scott’s presence at the party, however, adds to the accusations that the Houston-born rapper showed callous disregard in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy.
Drake posted a photo of himself at the sports bar Dave and Buster’s on Thursday night, the eve of his performance alongside Scott
He is already facing multiple lawsuits from relatives of those who lost their lives.
Scott has promised to pay funeral expenses, yet families believe that there should have been better security protocols in place in the first place.
Victims aged from 14 to 27 were crushed to death as a sizable group of the 50,000 in attendance pushed toward the stage at NRG Park, as a timer clicked down to the start of the 9pm performance.
One woman, identified only as Rachel, was furious over the death of her friend Franco Patino, a 21-year-old from Illinois, studying at the University of Dayton in Ohio.
‘My friend is gone FOREVER because of Astroworld,’ she tweeted.
‘The anger I have over this is insane. Travis Scott is going to have to do a hell of a lot more than post a notes-app apology.’
Travis Scott said he will cover the funeral costs for the eight victims killed during a violent crowd surge at his Astroworld Festival on Friday in Houston, Texas
Other victims included University of Dayton student Franco Patino (left), 21, who was attending the event with his best friend, 20-year-old Jacob Jurinek, when both were trampled to death
Patino (left) and Jurinek grew up in the same Illinois town and were best friends
Drake, who was invited on stage by Scott, on Monday night spoke of his sorrow.
‘I’ve spent the past few days trying to wrap my mind around this devastating tragedy,’ he wrote on Instagram.
‘I hate resorting to this platform to express an emotion as delicate as grief but this is where I find myself.
‘My heart is broken for the families and friends of those who lost their lives and for anyone who is suffering.’
He said he would pray for them, and was committed to ‘be of service in any way I can.’
New accounts of the doomed concert indicated fire officials lost contact with emergency medics as the gravity of the situation overwhelmed first responders.
Houston fire department officials were unable to reach on-site medics because their cell phones went unanswered amid the chaos, USA Today reported.
Meantime, one EMT who worked the event said his two-way radio stopped functioning as emergency teams split up to help victims.
Eight people died and hundreds more were injured after the concertgoers surged toward the stage as rapper Travis Scott performed last Friday during the Astroworld Festival in Houston
Although the operations plan for the festival included protocols for numerous dangerous scenarios, it did not include information on what to do in the event of a crowd surge
‘To give you context, the radio wasn’t working,’ the medic said on TikTok under the username remi.rich.
‘The music was way too loud. I had called for backup and for help so many times and it was just not going through.’
As the scene turned deadly, he said revelers continued to move toward the stage, seemingly oblivious to those injured around them.
TikTok user remi.rich said he was working for the festival as a medic, and noted that his radio wasn’t functioning as concertgoers began collapsing
The Astroworld main stage where Travis Scott was performing Friday evening sits full of debris from the concert, in a parking lot at NRG Center on November 8 in Houston
‘My observations were that there was zero crowd etiquette at all,’ he said.
‘They just wanted to get closer to the show closer to Travis Scott and do their thing.
‘They didn’t give a single damn about anyone around them.
‘It was an absolute s*** show.’
Authorities have said 50,000 people attended the event.
Among the hundreds injured was a nine-year-old boy who was trampled and remained in a medically induced coma at a Houston hospital on Tuesday, according to his family.
Two people who knew an unidentified victim of a fatal incident at the Houston Astroworld concert embrace at a memorial on Sunday, Nov. 7, 2021. (AP Photo/Robert Bumsted)
A man places a candle at a memorial in Houston for the victims of the Astroworld music festival on Sunday
Concertgoers are seen scrambling after multiple injuries were reported at the festival
The concert was attended by about 50,000 people, authorities have said
Over 300 people were treated at a field hospital on site and at least 13 were hospitalized.
The TikTok user refuted any suggestion that the on-site medics were unqualified to help the injured.
‘Everyone in the med tent was the absolute A-team,’ he said.
‘In the medical tent, they had two doctors, a SWAT physician, a ton of SWAT medics, seasoned paramedics and then basics. If you could draw in a team an A-team from Houston that aren’t doctors, they were there.
‘It was just a situation where maybe just over 100 or 150 personnel was responsible for probably over 50,000 highly irresponsible people.
‘Whose fault is it? My observation was the crowd.
A medic working the concert blamed the tragedy on ‘50,000 highly irresponsible people’
Bernon Blount said his son and nine-year-old grandson, Ezra, had come from out of town to attend the festival together.
But they became separated during the crowd surge, Blount said, setting off a frantic search to locate Ezra who was eventually found at a hospital.
Blount said his grandson’s heart, lungs and brain were injured in the melee.
‘My son, once he had passed out from the pressure being applied to him during the concert, he passed out and Ezra fell into the crowd,’ Blount told The Associated Press.
‘When my son awakened, Ezra wasn’t there.’
Scott met with Houston’s police chief to discuss safety concerns before Friday’s show
Houston’s police chief said Monday that he met with Scott to discuss safety concerns before the rapper performed on Friday.
Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said Scott’s head of a security also attended that meeting, but he did not provide details of their conversation in a statement released by the police department.
Houston police and fire department investigators have said they are reviewing surveillance video provided by concert promoter Live Nation, as well as dozens of clips from people at the show that were widely shared on social media.
A video circulating online earlier this week showed fans begging the stage crew to halt Scott’s performance, screaming: ‘There is somebody dead in there. There is someone dead.’
Shocking video shows a woman imploring a cameraman to stop the show, telling him ‘There is somebody dead in there’ The crew member dismisses his concerns as he continues filming
Another fan jumps on stage and screams ‘stop the show’ as the death toll began mounting during rapper Travis Scott’s Astroworld performance in Houston, Texas on Friday
Crew members appeared apathetic and ignored fans in the video posted to TikTok, which shows a cameraman continuing to operate his equipment as fans beg him to help.
‘Stop the show,’ another fan cried.
Video circulating on Twitter shows fans begging the rapper to stop performing and chanting ‘stop the show’ as concertgoers were being knocked down and crushed by other attendees.
‘Fans were recording the concert and people doing CPR. Fans were yelling at the stage crew around us, saying stop the concert, people are dying. No one listened,’ ICU nurse and concert attendee Madeline Eskins told Rolling Stone.
‘It was definitely overcrowded. It was insane, honestly. I knew it was just way too crowded – it just got worse and worse as I got closer to Travis Scott performing it got more crowded, more crowded, more crowded.’
Investigators also planned to speak with Live Nation representatives, Scott and concertgoers.
Live Nation said in a statement Monday that full refunds would be offered to all attendees.
Scott’s scheduled appearance at the Day N Vegas Festival in Las Vegas this weekend was canceled, according to a Scott representative who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the matter.
Scott, who founded the Astroworld festival, said he would cover funeral costs for the victims.
The dead ranged in age from 14 to 27 and came from Texas, Illinois and Washington state, according to Harris County authorities.
They included high schoolers, an aspiring Border Patrol agent and a computer science student.
It could be several weeks before medical examiners release the causes of death, said Michele Arnold, a spokeswoman for the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences.
Source by www.dailymail.co.uk