Echo speakers from Amazon are best known for the Alexa voice assistant on offer. However, it needs WiFi to work, which may disappoint users who have Echo Dot or other Echo speakers but not an active WiFi connection. Thankfully, all Echo devices come with Bluetooth functionality which you can use to play music or audio from your phone. Here’s how you can use your Echo Alexa device as a Bluetooth speaker without WiFi or internet. Read on.
Related | Wipro 9W WiFi Smart Bulb: How to Setup, Tips & Tricks, FAQs
Use Alexa Echo Device as a Bluetooth Speaker Without WiFi or Internet
So, you bought a new Amazon Echo device but didn’t have an active WiFi connection at the moment? Or has your WiFi plan expired yet you want to use Alexa to play music over Bluetooth? Do not worry; here’s everything right, from setting up Alexa from scratch to pairing it to your phone’s Bluetooth.
Before we start, if you have already paired your Echo device with your phone’s Bluetooth, then you do not need these steps. Turn it on, and it will automatically connect to your phone’s Bluetooth. If not, connect manually from the phone’s Bluetooth menu.
Step 1- Enable Phone’s WiFi Hotspot
- To start with, enable the WiFi hotspot on your phone.
- On Android, you can enable it in Settings > WiFi & Network > WiFi Hotspot.
- iPhone users, on the other hand, can turn on the hotspot from Settings > Personal Hotspot.
Step 2- Plugin and Setup the Echo Alexa Device
- Now, plugin your Alexa Echo device to a power source.
- Install and open the Alexa app on your phone.
- Sign in with your Amazon account if not already.
- Click on More > Add Device.
- Select Amazon Echo and your model- Echo, Echo Dot, Dot Plus, etc.
- Once Alexa enters setup mode and starts blinking orange light, follow the instructions to proceed further.
- Allow access to location services when prompted.
- Then, select your phone’s WiFi hotspot and enter the password to connect.
After the device is set up, say Alexa to ensure it’s up and working.
Step 3- Pair Alexa to Your Phone’s Bluetooth
- Open Settings on your iPhone or Android phone.
- Go to Bluetooth and turn it on.
- Now, say, “Alexa, pair” or “Alexa, connect to Bluetooth.”
- On your phone, click on Pair New Device. Let it scan for available devices.
- Look for the Echo device in the list of available devices.
- Tap your Echo device to connect it to your phone.
Alexa will say “Playing from <phone’s name>” to notify that it’s connected to your phone.
Step 4- Turn Off the Hotspot, Use Alexa Without WiFi
Now that Alexa is successfully paired with your phone’s Bluetooth, you can disable your phone’s WiFi hotspot. The Echo device will keep paired with your phone to play music over Bluetooth. Once you’re done, you can disconnect it from your phone’s Bluetooth settings.
The Echo device will automatically connect to your phone every time you turn it on, even if it’s not connected to WiFi. If it doesn’t, simply open Bluetooth settings on your phone and tap your Echo from the list of paired devices.
Related | 4 Ways to Stop Alexa from Auto Connecting to Phone’s Bluetooth
Can You Use Echo Dot As a Wired Speaker With Your Phone?
All Echo devices come with AUX ports to connect external speakers. However, Echo Dot, Spot, Show, and Auto do not have aux inputs. Only the Echo 3rd gen, Echo Plus, and Echo Studio have aux inputs.
This means while you can connect it to external speakers, you cannot use your phone to play audio via AUX cable on your Echo Dot or other incompatible Echo devices. I tried doing so with my Echo Dot, and it did not work for obvious reasons.
Can Alexa Work Without Power?
The Amazon Echo devices need to be plugged into a wall outlet all the time. Without power, the Alexa device will not switch on or work. However, you do have some options to use Alexa devices without power.
Amazon sells a portable version called Echo Input which comes with a built-in 4800mAh battery to listen to music. But if you already have an Echo or Echo Dot, you can use portable third-party battery bases available on Amazon to run Echo on battery.
Again, you’d need WiFi to make use of Alexa (unless you want to use it only as a Bluetooth speaker). In that case, you can connect it to your phone’s WiFi hotspot. If power cuts are the reason, you can get a mini UPS for your WiFi router. Links are given below.
Wrapping Up- Use Alexa As a Bluetooth Speaker
This was a quick guide on how you can use your Echo Alexa device as a Bluetooth speaker for your phone without WiFi or an internet connection. I hope this helps you use your Echo speaker to enjoy music when you do not have active WiFi connectivity. Anyways, let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Stay tuned for more.
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.
Source by gadgetstouse.com